Saturday, June 11, 2011

Shopping Woes


My mom says that every purchase made requires at least three trips to the shop. Once, to do a survey of what’s available. Second, to actually buy what you liked. And third, to exchange what you bought and buy something else. In all probability, after your three trips, when you’re finally satisfied with what you have bought, you will see someone else having the same thing, of a better quality and bought at a lesser price! Such are the ways of this evil world we live in!

A girl can never have enough of anything, isn’t it? Open my wardrobe, it may look like it’s full, but when the need arises, I shall have nothing to wear! With this thought in my head and my wallet in my hand, I decide to head out shopping...but of course, things never happen the way they should when you plan them!
When I want to buy something casual, I can only find the top of the range party-wear or super smart formal stuff. And when I need some office wear, there's a brand new collection of t-shirts in the stores! And sales? Don't even get me started! What I like is never on sale, and what is on sale...I don't like! Does everyone feel this way, or is it just my luck? 
So, the moment I step out of my house to go to a shop, all the salespersons(or is it salespeople?) have been warned. It’s time they get their act together and ensure I leave the shop empty-handed. Yup, you read it right. Salespeople never want me to come back to their shops.
Why are salespersons (I shall not say men or women because both have the same characteristics in this regard) the way they are? Why is it that there’s never a helpful salesperson when you want one? And why are there too many when you don’t need them?

Case 1: I’m actually looking for something to buy.
Me (M): *taps salesperson* Excuse me, I’m looking for something... can you…
Salesperson 1: * walks away*
Salesperson 2 (S): Yes?
M: Hi, I’m looking for a perfume in the range of Rs 1000-1200. What do you have?
S: Madam, we have a special offer on XYZ perfume - 700Rs only!
M: Okay, but I need something in the range of 1000-1200. Can you show me something else?
S: Yes madam, but you try this one! It’s a very good scent, only 700Rs!
M: I’m looking for a gift and I want something between 1000-1200 Rs. I don’t want this one!
S: Okay, you can check this one. It’s 2500Rs. It’s very good Madam!
M: Do you have a smaller size which costs lesser?
S: No.
M: So… which of these cost around 1000Rs? Can you check with someone else?
S: But Madam… Rs700… special offer…
M: *irritated**leaves shop never to return*

So, it’s either the confused people who just don’t get what you want. Or, it’s the over-enthusiastic people who don’t get that you don’t want anything! Read on.

Case 2: I’m window shopping because I have some free time on my hands.
Salesperson (S): Hello ma’am, may I help you?
Me (M): No thanks, I’m just having a look.
S: Would you like to see some tops/jeans/ jewelry / stuffed toys /furniture (depending on which shop I’m in)?
M: No thanks, I’m not looking for anything particular.
S: But we have a special offer on tops/jeans/ jewelry /stuffed toys/furniture (depending on which shop I’m in)
M: Okay, but I don’t really want to buy anything... I’m just looking around.
S: Why don’t you see our latest collection of tops/jeans/ jewelry /stuffed toys/furniture (depending on which shop I’m in)
M: *irritated* *leaves shop never to return*

It’s only once in a blue moon that you walk into a store, your eyes fall on something in the far corner of the room, its love at first sight… and you know that you have to buy those shoes! Then the perfect salesperson comes along, waits patiently and helps you find your size, tells you that your chosen item has a discounted price, and then you buy it and walk out of the store feeling happy. (Of course, this happiness shall only last till the first shoe bite, but let’s not go there now!)

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I LOVE the two scenarios! Very funny and very true! And you wonder how I could hate shopping. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Yes, I can understand. But doesn't the thought of getting new stuff excite you? =D

    ReplyDelete